April 5, 2010

iScribe Interview Series - To the Ace

Name: Rob LeBlanc
Major: English, Ph.D.
Year of Graduation: 2010
Position: Featured writer (Fall 2009)

If you were going to go to a diner that was based on the works of one author, which author would it be and why?

I guess it would probably be Breece D’J Pancake.

Do you prefer writing poetry? Do you prefer to read poetry or prose?

I prefer to write poetry, but I prefer to read prose, especially short stories. My favorite experience as a TA for the English Department was teaching ENG 243, The Short Story, in the spring of 2008.

What do you do for fun…besides writing?

Mostly reading and watching viral videos. I don’t have a lot of free time lately. My fiancĂ©e and I went to some sort of cheese shop in Tiverton recently; that was fun.

What is the most inspirational line of poetry you’ve ever read?

I would have to cite this lengthy line from Thomas Merton’s poem #9 in his 1968 collection Cables to the Ace :

“I am doubted, therefore I am. Does this mean that if I insist on making
everybody doubt me more, I will become more real? It is enough to doubt them
back. By this mutual service we make one another complete. A metaphysic of
universal suspicion!” (These words were once heard, uttered by a lonely,
disembodied voice, seemingly in a cloud. No one was impressed by them and they
were immediately forgotten.)

No comments:

Post a Comment